CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
The Asian American Documentary Network (A-Doc) has utilized its resources and network to support its Storytelling Initiatives, beginning with the microdocs series Asian American Stories in the Time of Coronavirus in 2020, and Asian American Stories of Resilience and Beyond in co-production with WORLD Channel and CAAM in 2022.
Each iteration of the Storytelling Initiative has furthered A-Doc’s mission to increase the visibility and support of Asian Americans in the documentary field, to come together as a multi-generational force to advocate for our presence, and to advocate for equity and diversity in our field. For the 2024 iteration of the initiative, Our Stories, Our Voices, we are calling on filmmakers to capture stories showing how people and communities break through the pull of cynicism and hopelessness around voting to have their voices heard.
The 2024 microdocs series will contain seven 2-minute videos focusing on individual and/or community actions, initiatives, and participation on urgent issues in the 2024 elections. Seven filmmakers will be selected through this open call to create the films, which will be followed by an impact campaign leading up to November, in collaboration with our partner organizations.
Each filmmaker will receive $3,000 production funding, as well as $750 for participation in a funded impact campaign. The cohort will receive production support from the A-Doc Storytelling Initiative Team, and mentorship from two veteran filmmakers, to further multi-generational alliances, knowledge sharing, and community building.
Working with the filmmakers, the A-Doc team will promote each piece on social media, help curate these projects as part of film festivals, and panels, and ultimately raise the overall visibility of AANHPI voices in the 2024 elections.
December 15, 2023 – Open call begins
January 10, 2024 – Open call information session – Session recording HERE
DEADLINE EXTENSION: February 2, 2024 – FINAL DEADLINE for open call pitches
March 1, 2024 – Selected filmmakers notification
May 2024 – Series release
June to November 2024 – Impact campaign leading up to the 2024 Elections.
TOPICS OF INTEREST
We are looking for filmmakers who take a hyper-local and unconventional approach to capture stories that can engage and revitalize voters, reminding us that our participation counts, and that disengagement is not an option.
We emphasize original ideas, strong production values, compelling visuals and approaches, powerful stories, and inspiring film participants.
We’re interested in stories focusing on:
- Hyperlocal governance: Proposals that focus on governing structures and processes through a local perspective within AANHPI communities.
- Grassroots activism and participation: Proposals that highlight individuals and groups that showcase AANHPI representations at the local level and campaigns to gain such representations through the electoral process.
- Community movements: Proposals that demonstrate collective power through community-based initiatives and campaigns generated within and for the people.
- Creative approaches to civic engagement: Proposals that capture innovative ways to participate in public discourse and civic process, whether through art, culture, or other unique participatory projects.
- Young, emerging voices: Proposals that document younger generations’ participation in the civic process and show the growing representation of AANHPI voices.
Filmmakers are expected to submit the following information in their pitches to be considered for the series. Only one project per director will be considered.
- Film Title
- Logline (in 2 sentences)
- Story Summary (1 page or less)
- Creative Vision and Artistic Approach (1 paragraph)
- Topic Summary (1 paragraph)
- Connection and Community Care (1 paragraph)
- Audience and Impact (1 paragraph)
- Filmmaker Bio (1 paragraph)
- Prior Work Sample
REQUIREMENTS AND ELIGIBILITY
- Filmmakers must be existing A-Doc members or are in alignment with A-Doc values and must join A-Doc prior to submitting a proposal.
- The story should be focused on Asian American, Native Hawaiians and Pacific Islander subjects/perspectives.
- Fill out the Submission form by Friday, February 2, 2024.
- Submissions will go through a commissioning team for review consisting of members of A-Doc’s staff, partner organizations, and veteran filmmakers from the membership.
- If approved by the commissioning team, each video will require an A-Doc logo, as well as logos from other sponsoring organizations.
- The filmmaker cohort will be paired with two mentors, who will guide the filmmaker through the production and post-production process. Filmmakers should expect multiple rounds of feedback.
- The maker/author must grant A-Doc a non-exclusive license in perpetuity. The series will be distributed via social media platforms, with A-Doc staff support, starting in May and continuing through the year.
To Apply, Fill out the Submission Form!
DEADLINE EXTENSION: 11:59 pm PST, February 2, 2024
Make sure to follow us on social media at @aadocnetwork and subscribe to our newsletter at a-doc.org/join-us to stay updated on the latest A-Doc news.
If you have any questions, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org