The Asian American Documentary Network (A-Doc) seeks submissions for its first ever Impact Fellowship, a program preluded by A-Doc Impact Speaker Series—a series of panels and conversations providing a shared understanding and analysis of how film and storytelling can support and create social change for our AAPI communities. Call for submissions will launch on January 4, 2024 on this page. Check back then for the application form!
The A-Doc Impact Fellowship is an innovative and paradigm shifting opportunity that seeks social justice-oriented leaders, filmmakers, impact strategists, thinkers, doers, and believers who have an idea for a new or reimagined way to organize and support AAPI communities and bring about long-term, equitable social change. The Fellowship is designed to support creative, dynamic and bold individuals leading projects that will create social change within AAPI communities which embrace and leverage nonfiction film and storytelling.
A-Doc will award three (3) Impact Fellows a grant ($20,000) towards the implementation of their project and a year-long cohort fellowship program (12 months, March 2024 – March 2025), designed for the Impact Fellows to be in community with a cohort of peers, collaborators, co-conspirators, and leaders within the documentary film, storytelling and social justice ecosystem. A-Doc will carefully craft the program to be tailored towards the needs of each Impact project to provide the optimal amount of support and mentorship required. Fellows are expected to complete their proposed projects by the end of the program.
Applications Open: January 4, 2024
Info Session: January 11, 2024 (time TBD)
Applications Closes: February 8, 2024 at 11:59PM ET
A-Doc Impact Fellowship Review Period: January 11, 2024 – February 15, 2024
Award Notification: February 22, 2024
Fellowship Period: March 2024 – March 2025
Who is the Impact Fellowship for?
While we do not limit how any applicant identify as part of their craft and work, here are some examples of who it’s for:
• Filmmakers / Impact Producers – While the Impact Fellowship is not designed to support a film’s impact campaign, it can support an individual—who can be a part of a film project—to better position their already in place or envisioned strategies for impact. There will need to be distinction that the award is not directly supporting an impact campaign or production costs, but instead is building off the impact work.
• Social Justice Activists / Organizers – You are an activist/organizer working within AAPI communities seeking to create a new project that ensures our people are seen, heard and empowered.
Ex. You work at an organization that leads campaigns directly working to support AAPI communities, and you want to lead a storytelling workshop
of oral traditions that shares knowledge, art, ideas and cultural materials that are received, preserved, and transmitted orally from one generation to another.
• Community Leaders – You are a leader and/or directly impacted member of an AAPI community that is working to address an issue that impacts your community.
• Policy Makers – You are working to create structural transformation for AAPI communities through policy advocacy, and you want to leverage film as part of your work.
Ideal candidates have some experience with developing collaborative or community-based projects involving the AAPI community that incorporate key elements of film, moving image or storytelling. Candidates are in alignment with A-Doc values (though they do not need to already be existing members) and have the experience or capacity to contribute to a collaborative learning environment. We welcome applicant with diverse backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and expertise.
Eligible Impact Fellow Candidates:
• Are at least 21 years of age
• Are committed to working collaboratively with their cohort members
• Are in alignment with A-Doc values
• Demonstrate a practice or deep interest in supporting the AAPI community through film, art, and storytelling
• Are familiar with the cultural history and issues impacting the AAPI community
• Projects must focus and center AAPI communities and/or participants
• Participants must be able to participate in the Impact Fellowship cohort between March 2024 – March 2025 (including travel). See below for more information.
• Only one proposal per applicant will be accepted.
• Must be based in the U.S.